Friday, August 9, 2013

Sepia Saturday - Aug 10


Sepia Saturday

I'm posting at Sepia Saturday today.

The suggested theme is:

What a curious contraption. I am not sure how it works, I am uncertain of the thinking behind it, I have no idea where it is going, and it appears to have been designed by an absent-minded committee : but for all its' manifest failings, it seems to do something. I am talking, of course, about Sepia Saturday which, you will notice, is chugging away towards its' 200th Call (more on that soon). Our theme picture for Sepia Saturday 189 (post your posts on or around Saturday 10th August 2013) comes from the Flickr Commons Collection of the National Library of Ireland and is entitled "What An Amazing Contraption". It provides us with an opportunity to search out photographs featuring all manner of strange or unidentified contraptions. And if you are fresh out of contraptions there is always cars or people sat in ridiculous positions. All you need do is find an old photograph, say a few words, post it to your blog, link it to the list below, welcome a band of merry commentators to your blog, tootle off to visit as many other Sepians as you can manage .... and marvel at the workings of this strange contraption that we call Sepia Saturday.


1937 Dublin Ireland

My Dad on the right

UPDATE: as usual the eage-eyed Sepians pointed out the dog between the other boy's legs. I know that my Dad never had pets at home. Boobook asked if I had identified the building in the background, as I look at it more carefully I am guessing the car is parked along the Canal in Dublin but I have no idea where it would be, nor do I know who the other boy was or whose car it was. My grandfather definitely did not own a car.




14 comments:

  1. Reminds me of my grandfather's Model T Ford a bit. Like the dog peeking out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those dogs will worm their way into any picture! A classic photo Jackie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well spotted Kristin! I didn't see that charming mutt until you pointed him out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't see the dog either at first. Great shot, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you identified the building in the background?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely old photo. And the car is a quite magnificent contraption

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went back to look at the dog when I saw the previous comments, Still a great car with your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The boys looks very spiffy -- wonder where they were going.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perhaps the dog just went around photobombing people's snapshots. He was ahead of his time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perhaps he was visiting a friend or relative. Ah, that dog!! I have in my meager collection an official picture of a train, with all of the local officials posing in front of it, while a dog just walked by...
    :D~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely old car and the kids look so proud of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, it's a great car anyway. Who wouldn't want to pose beside it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a few photos like that were people have put an arrow or a cross on.... Sometimes you so wish they hadn't but I guess this way we get the right person!
    Jackie
    Scrapbangwallop

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wonder if there is a way to trace the registration of old cars?

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.