Sunday, April 21, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?



 
It's Monday! What are you reading? is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey. For this meme, bloggers post what they finished last week, what they're currently reading, and what they plan to start this week.
My comments are not meant to be recaps of the story lines as I include a link to Goodreads for their synopsis of the book. I am merely stating how I felt about the book without giving any spoilers.


Still not back into my reading groove, busy catching up on stuff.

FINISHED THIS WEEK:

Cold Comfort


I really enjoyed reading about Icelandic culture in this second installment of this series, I didn't read the first one but it didn't matter. My biggest complaint would be the vast number of characters making it almost impossible to keep everyone straight.
Gunna, the main character and police officer is a very real likable person who says such things as  
“Going out for a minute Helgi, if Johnny Depp shows up, just ask him to get undressed and wait for me would you?”


STARTED THIS WEEK:

The Bag Lady Papers: The Priceless Experience of Losing It All

In December 2008, my worst nightmare came true . . . How do you pick yourself up after the one thing you most feared happens to you? Alexandra Penney's revealing, spirited, and ultimately redemptive true story shows us how.

Throughout her life, Alexandra Penney's worst fear was of becoming a bag lady. Even as she worked several jobs while raising a son as a single mother, wrote a bestselling advice book, and became editor in chief of Self magazine, she was haunted by the image of herself alone, bankrupt, and living on the street. She even went to therapy in an attempt to alleviate the worry that all she had worked for could crumble.

And then, one day, that's exactly what happened.

Penney had taken a friend's advice and invested nearly everything she had ever earned--all of her savings--with Bernie Madoff. One day she was successful and wealthy; the next she had almost nothing. Suddenly, at an age when many Americans retire, Penney saw her worst nightmares coming true. Based on her popular blog posts on The Daily Beast, this memoir chronicles Penney's struggle to cope with the devastating financial and emotional fallout of being cheated out of her life savings and illuminates her journey back to sanity, solvency, and security.

"I will work harder than I ever have before--which was pretty hard indeed--and see what happens. I have the feeling something good will come of it: tough, challenging work and laserlike focus have always paid off for me. . . . Was it better to have it and then lose it Yes, yes, yes! Even though I lived with horrible bag lady fears of losing it all, now that those financial fears have materialized, I'm in pretty good shape and looking to what's next. Experiences--good and bad, exciting and boring, tragic and absurd--make up a life. Not to have lived to the fullest is the saddest, most irresponsible life I can think of."

. . . from The Bag Lady Papers(less)

2 comments:

  1. I'm not really a reader of biography, but the Bag Lady Papers sounds good - something to consider. :-) I hope you enjoy it! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just finished reading Knots and Crosses and started Haunted Grounds.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.