Saturday, February 9, 2013

Saturday Snapshot


 

Saturday Snapshots is hosted by Alyce at At Home With Books.

Last week we went to Red Rock Canyon and did the 13 mile scenic drive. It was a beautiful cloudless day. Red Rock Canyon is located west of Las Vegas on Charleston Blvd (State Road 159).












The desert tortoise is Nevada's state reptile and can live to be 60-80 years old in the wild and spends 95% of its life in a burrow. Desert tortoises can live in areas with ground temperatures exceeding 140 °F (60 °C) because of their ability to dig underground burrows and escape the heat. In its burrow it is also protected from freezing winter weather while dormant, from November through February or March.









17 comments:

  1. Wow, wow, wow. What a stunning dramatic landscape - great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been there years ago and was very impressed by this beautiful landscape ! It's just the kind I love !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of those views remind me of parts of Arizona. I haven't seen this view of Nevada, although when I go there, it's usually not for the scenery! lol

    Thanks for sharing. And here's MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOT POST

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an amazing route!! I'm sure the pictures don't do it justice. My husband and I must visit there one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The orange rock against the blue sky is striking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Neat photos. Red rocks like that are in Colorado at the Garden of the Gods too. See them here: http://www.gardenofgods.com/home/index.cfm?flash=1

    Love the turtle crossing signs. I didn't know they burrowed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is some scenery. Could you hike the route or is it too hot? Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Paulita, yes, you can easily hike at this time of year as it is generally in the high 50s or low 60s during the day. You wouldn't do it in the summer when it can hit 100+ degrees.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! beautiful... and just soooo BIG! The sense of space is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW...I have never been out West.

    THANKS.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Saturday Snapshot

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've driven through Red Rock Canyon but wasn't much into photography at the time....will have to go back for pics♫♪ Happy Travels♥ Here's my SS:http://lore-eleven.blogspot.com/2013/02/icy-convex-mirror.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely photos. It is funny seeing somewhere that looks so hot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The people who are hiking look so small compared to the rock mountain they are climbing.

    Stunning massive rock shapes and colors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Of all the times I've been to Vegas, I have never been up there. Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those views are gorgeous! I would love to go hiking there.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.