Friday, February 8, 2013

My Recipe Box - Cream of Chicken Soup


Image result for image campbell cream of chicken soup

For years cream of chicken soup has always been my "go-to" soup with a slice of bread cut up in it whenever I didn't feel well. I don't typically buy it now. However, in a pinch, I will if I need to make a really quick dinner such as chicken divan.

Most times, these days, I have homemade chicken stock available for recipes.

I have found a recipe for a copycat cream of chicken soup.

Recipe courtesy of Buns in my Oven's blog.


CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP RECIPE
YIELD: EQUIVALENT TO ONE CAN OF SOUP

INGREDIENTS:

1 tablespoon flour I use gluten free
3 tablespoons butter

1/2 cup chicken broth I use homemade if I have it on hand.

1/2 cup milk can substitute cream

salt and pepper, to taste

Season as you wish - I add thyme, bay, celery leaves, onion 

DIRECTIONS:


Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. When melted, whisk in the flour and continue whisking until smooth and bubbly. Remove from the heat and slowly whisk in the chicken broth and milk. Return to the heat and bring to a gentle boil, whisking constantly, until the soup thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste.

OR simmer stock with seasonings for an hour, then strain. Return stock to pot and add milk/cream and bring to a gentle boil. If the soup is too thin then use a slurry of cornstarch and water to thicken.

1 comment:

  1. This looks yummy! I was sick in December and hubby was buying several cans of chicken soup for me!
    Cheers from Cottage Country!

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.