Tuesday, January 15, 2013

My Recipe Box - Cabbage and Sausage Stew

I made this for the first time on the weekend and was a little leery that I would like the sausage in it. I loved it and it is going into my recipe box.

I found the recipe at Miz Helen's Country Cottage.

Photo is mine.

I'm sharing this recipe at Tasty Tuesday  at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam.
tasty tuesday larger logo Turkey, Ham and Cheese Ring (Tasty Tuesday)

 I included turnip and you could add whatever other vegetables that you like.


Cabbage and Sausage Stew
Miz Helen's Kitchen 
1 1/4 pound Polska Kielbasa Sausage Sliced
2 pounds Red Potatoes medium chopped do not peel
2 medium size onion's medium chopped
3 carrots chopped
7 to 8 cups cabbage chopped
5 to 6 cups chicken broth
2 cloves garlic chopped 
1 teaspoon thyme
2 tablespoons parsley chopped
1 teaspoon nutmeg
dash Cayenne pepper
Salt and Pepper to taste
In a hot dutch oven brown the sausage in the oil and remove it from the pot.
Brown the vegetables in the sausage oil then add the sausage back into the pot.
Add the garlic, thyme, parsley, nutmeg, Cayenne, salt and pepper and mix well.
Add the Chicken Broth and mix well. If you want a thinner stew or soup just add water at this time.
Bring the stew to a boil and then cover, and reduce the heat to low and cook on low for 45 minutes or until the potatoes are beginning to break up.
No need to thicken the stew as it makes its own wonderful thick sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.