Monday, September 12, 2011

What I've Been Up To - Monday Update

It's been seven weeks since I stopped working and have pretty well just enjoyed myself. Lots of trips to the garden centre, coffee/lunches with friends and some cleaning of closets. The last month has also been filled with career counselling sessions and a fantabulous trip to NYC.
Got the house almost back in order after all that painting.
New rug
 Some art rehung


Bought the blinds for the living room and TV room and DH installed them.

Made a video for a cousin's birthday.
Had friends in to dinner.
Drying laundry outside, I have NEVER done that in this house.
Lots of nooks and crannies are getting tidied up and cleaned out.
Rearranged the living room - moved the lamps to better locations.
Decluttered lots.
Weeded a lot.
Planted lots of plants bought at those garden centre visits (four!!). Rearranged back end of garden. It still needs more plants. Also planted transplants from a friend's garden, white hostas to continue my white theme.





Joined Costco.
Cleaned freezer to make room for above purchases.
Made 5 soup stocks. Used my crockpot for one of them.
Blogged a lot and read way too many blogs.
Switched phone service over - received VOIP box today will see how this works out.
Booked 2 more vacations using timeshare. We never could do this before as easily due to vacation allotments. New Bern NC for golf in October and Hilton Head for golf in March.
Booked flights for Hawaii in November - this was already planned before I stopped working.
Drove to Montreal for a weekend.

Booked a trip to Cityline.
Bought a coupon for a photography class for myself and a BF.
Bought coupon for cooking class for DH and I.

Caught up on some reading:
Gladdy's Wake
The Memory Keeper's Daughter
Istanbul Memories and the City
Sugar Street - gave up on this, didn't finish it.
Chicago
Hide and Seek
Knots and Crosses
Tooth and Nail
Exit Music
Priest



It's now the second week of  "back to school" so it's time for me to start counting my accomplishments now that I have an extra (yikes) forty hours a week!!

Tuesday - first day of school.
Called to schedule furnace cleaning and a rad repair and also to get railings for front steps.
Tried to book a maid service using a coupon from LivingSocial a deal a day site. GC Nexus informed me that they were fully booked until the expiration of the coupon so I could either go on a waiting list or else contact LivingSocial and ask for a refund. So basically they've had my money for six months and now want me to do the work to get my credit. I emailed LivingSocial and they agreed to process the refund.
Made a banana bread in my breadmaker. But will be looking for another recipe as it required mixing in my blender, therefore dirtying more things.

Wednesday
Tracked down Four Hour Work Week blog which I had come across in a bookstore a week ago.
Followed up on Let's Go Global expo and marked it for September 24 to attend. It covers topics on working and volunteering abroad.
Followed up on the ST. George College book sale Oct 14-18 at  15 King's College Circle.
Trinity UT sale is  Oct 20-24.
Went shopping!!
Got my hair cut.
Met a friend and had a quick chat.
Investigating a yoga class in the area that has day classes. Thinking that The Yoga Sanctuary offers the best deals.
Checking out some volunteer ideas. The YWCA is a good option as is Times Change.

Thursday
A day out with a BF. Husbands golf and we hang out and go shopping. Spent a whole $4 not counting lunch in the food court.
Skipped drinks with work friends in the evening.

Friday
Got hair cut, went shopping on Bloor St.
Got the last plants in the ground (for now). Hot sweaty work.

Saturday
Now this is the kind of day you realize you wouldn't enjoy as much if you had to work.
Friends came over for lunch and then we headed to Cabbagetown for the festival.  So nice to feel relaxed and not worry about what isn't getting done and having to think about work on Monday!!

Then over to Underdown pub as it was participating in the Cabbagetown Festival as well as celebrating its first anniversary this weekend. Had family join us so it was an extended evening with much fun and laughter and catching up.

Sunday - mooched around. DH went to help BIL fix up apartment at the Underdown. I went downtown looking for celebrities in Yorkville where a lot are staying for TIFF. Did some shopping.

Monday - laundry, reading, blogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.