Sunday, October 3, 2010

Sunday Skies - Ireland


Sunset over Galway Bay in Ireland when we were spending a week in the area.

"Galway Bay"


by Arthur Colahan

If you ever go across the sea to Ireland,

Then maybe at the closin' of your day

You will sit and watch the moon rise over Claddagh

And see the sun go down on Galway Bay.

[And if there's to be a life in the hereafter --

And somehow I'm sure there's going to be --

I will ask my God to let me make my heaven

In that dear land across the Irish sea.



Just to hear again the ripple of the trout stream

And the women in the meadows making hay,

To sit beside the turf fire in the cabin

And watch the barefoot gossoons at their play.



For the breezes blowin' across the sea from Ireland

Are perfumed by the heather as they blow.

And the women in the upland diggin' praties

Speak a language that the strangers do not know.



For the strangers came and tried to teach us their way.

They scorned us just for bein' what we are.

But they might as well go chasin' after moon beams

Or light a penny candle from a star.



And if there's to be a life in the hereafter --

And somehow I'm sure there's going to be --

I will ask my God to let me make my heaven,

In that dear land across the Irish sea.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.