Tuesday, April 27, 2010

My Recipe Box - Leftover Coffee



With my campaign to not waste food I was looking for uses for leftover coffee. With the price of beans it seems a waste of money to throw it out. We typically only brew coffee on the weekends and this weekend we used Kona coffee we brought back from Hawaii.
I googled and came across an article stating to freeze the leftover coffee in ice cube trays and then use the frozen cubes to make a latte knockoff from a well-known coffee chain.
Take 6 frozen coffee ice cubes, drop them into a blender with 1/2 cup of milk, sugar and vanilla. Blend the mixture for about a minute until light and frothy.
I now have a tray of coffee freezing in the freezer.

Another idea is to add some to your beef gravy for a richer flavour.

Coffee grounds are an excellent compost. Just dump the grounds around your plants and it will even keep the slugs away.

Also read that the grounds make a good marinade...

Picture scrapped by me from some photos we took in Egypt. George was our guide and he took us to his favourite cafe before we boarded our overnight train to take us to Aswan where we would board our Nile cruise ship. To be taken to his "local" was an honour not often bestowed on clients. Maggie and I were the only women there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.