Sunday, July 12, 2009

Book: Painter of Shanghai



Ijust finished this book. I enjoyed it even though I don't think the writing was as good as it could have been. I felt like I wasn't getting deep enough inside her head.
However most reviews were very positive.


When I finished it I realized it was a true story of a Chinese girl sold into prostitution who managed to escape that life by becoming the concubine of a good, educated man. She discovers she can paint and goes on to become one of the first truly modern artists in China. She is very famous for her nude paintings which were shocking for those times in China.


It also gave me an insight into the Cultural Revolution. I am now reading China Witness which relates true life stories of people who lived through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.